We’ve probably all experienced back pain in some form or another at some point in our lives. I certainly have. In fact it’s because of back pain that I started studying massage and aromatherapy in the first place.
Suffering the excruciating pain of sciatica and a herniated disc, I found the combination of physiotherapy and aromatherapy massage to be the best solution. But it still took months of weekly massage sessions and lots of hard work with my physio before I started to feel comfortable and confident in my own body again. For me it was a far better option than the surgery I had been offered and gave me the long-term tools to look after my back.
Back pain can have a number of causes including physical and sports injuries, stress, bad workplace posture, lack of core muscle strength, and conditions such as arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. It’s therefore important to know what is causing your pain before you decide which treatment option to follow.
If you do decide that aromatherapy and essential oils are part of your plan then cast your eyes over the following list. These are the first oils I would reach for because of their natural analgesic (pain-relief), anti-inflammatory, muscle-relaxing and warming properties.
Obviously massage is a great way to get the oils into the system but a few drops of essential oil blended in a carrier oil can also be rubbed gently over the area or used in a bath.
Eight of the best essential oils for back pain:
- Ginger (Zingiber officinalis) ~ analgesic, warming and stimulating
- Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) ~ analgesic, warming and stimulating
- Sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana) ~ sedative, warming and analgesic
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) ~ analgesic, warming and anti-inflammatory
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) ~ analgesic, sedative and anti-inflammatory
- Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) ~ anti-inflammatory and soothing
- Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum) ~ analgesic and anti-inflammatory
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) ~ analgesic and stimulating
If you have a question about any of the oils on this list hit reply and leave your question in the comments ♥
Celebrating Aromatherapy Awareness Week 9th-15th June