Are you doing some kind of detox this January? A green smoothie challenge? Cutting out cigarettes, alcohol, dairy, gluten, meat, sugar, refined carbohydrates? Getting rid of toxic thoughts and self-limiting beliefs?
There’s a lot of talk about whether detox can be harmful or not, especially when done drastically. I have undergone a fairly drastic detox in the past and although the results were great and it made a huge difference to my life, I really would recommend something more gentle.
Using essential oils in combination with good diet and exercise is a great way to encourage our bodies to detox gently as the natural process of detoxification is enhanced by the stimulation of phagocytosis (phagocytes are cells that are able to ingest or engulf microorganisms or foreign bodies, otherwise known as toxins). As certain essential oils act to stimulate the lungs, bowels, kidneys, liver, lymphatic system and sweat glands they therefore help the process of elimination and the excretion of toxins.
The most useful essential oils for aiding detoxification are:
- Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis)
- Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
- Lemon (Citrus limonum)
- Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)
- Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi)
- Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
- Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum)
- Carrot seed (Daucus carota).
If you would like to use essential oils in your detox then you could:
- Take a bath – use a maximum of six to eight drops of essential oil (single or a combination) and add to either a tablespoon of seasalt or a tablespoon of vegetable oil and dissolve in your bathwater. Make sure the bath is not too hot and that you relax in it for at least 45 minutes.
- Give yourself a foot or body massage by adding a maximum of six drops of essential oils to around 15-20ml of vegetable oil (sweet almond, apricot kernal, sunflower etc.) and massaging slowly into your skin starting with your feet.
- Burn the oils in an oil burner by adding two or three drops of essential oil to a tablespoon of water. This would be a good opportunity to do a simple meditation and enhance your detox by drinking a large glass of warm water with the juice of half a fresh lemon.
As with all essential oils care must be taken, especially if you have a pre-existing condition, are on medication or are pregnant. If in doubt always ask a trained aromatherapist.
Are you detoxing this January? Let me know your detox secrets by hitting the reply button and leaving a comment.
Happy detoxing ♥